Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shitty First Drafts

Reading "Shitty First Drafts" taught me very little. I love to write but I really did think that great authors such as JK Rowling and Steven King had always been as talented as they are now. I thought that they were immune to catching writers’ block. Turns out they are just regular people like ourselves, who make mistakes and sometimes get stumped on what to write about next.

My yearbook editors would always act as if my first draft was my last. They would take my paper and tell me it was worthless. I wanted to be the “perfect” writer and wanted to be flawless just like my favorite authors. It turns out that everyone makes mistakes even the most seemingly perfect authors. 

I learned to not let small obstacles get in the way of finishing something that I write. I discovered that the process of writing can be daunting. I tend to think that a more time efficient method would be to do prewriting. Writing four or five drafts for college seems a little bit overboard.

I do not think after reading this that any reader is 100% “perfect” in any way. It would go against all laws. There is no such thing as perfect.

No comments: